I’ve been a journalist for over a decade. I write features, interviews and comment. In particular, I love writing about popular culture, literature, the arts, race, contemporary Africa, gender, beauty and style.
I write for many publications, including the Guardian, The Times, The Independent and Grazia.
Here’s a small selection of my journalism:
- Grazia: Everyday Racism
- Guardian: Africa: Leading the way for Women
- Guardian: African Fashion is more than Zebra Print
- Guardian: Ballet Black
- Guardian: Michelle Obama’s Fringe
- Arise: Julie Mehretu
- Arise: Taiye Selasi
- Arise: Binyavanga Wainaina
- Arise: Saro-Wiwa
- Arise: Ibrahim
- Arise: Laura Mvula
- Arise: 100 Women
Press Coverage for my New Book Fashion Cities Africa
The New Black
As the Guardian’s beauty editor I also wrote The New Black – the first ever beauty column for women of colour in a mainstream UK newspaper. Here’s the whole series.
I am still a total beauty junkie – I love writing about beauty, fashion and the politics of style. You can see some of my beauty journalism here:
- Vogue: London to Lagos style
- Guardian: Why the term 'African Fashion' is reductive
- Arise: Future Beauty
- Arise: Organic Beauty Products
- Arise: Mens Grooming
- Grazia: Back off Hair Police!